Most of you plan to use your guns responsibly: shooting zombies, shooting beer bottles while drunk, threatening your daughter's boyfriends, etc... It seems to me some of you aren't quite clear on who you can shoot and when.
Stand your ground is a lot like 'self defense.' If you're not 'defending,' yourself or your property...you get the idea, I'm sure, but someone clearly doesn't understand it.
For example, if you're chasing a teenager down the street with a gun in your hand, you are not 'standing,' you're 'chasing'. Even if he winked at your hot daughter; even if he's wearing rave clothes and a binky, and even though you really really think he'd probably rob your Porche if the alarm was off. Don't get me wrong... I think most teenagers are gum chewing, trendy menaces; but, unfortunately you can't shoot them or mail them to Justin Beiber.
Read the rest...
Not if you ask Texas stand your grounder, Raul Rodriguez. When his neighbors threw a wild party, he packed a video camera, grabbed his gun and stormed over to demand schoolteacher, Kelly Danaher quiet down. An argument ensued and Rodriguez fatally shot Danaher injuring 2 others. In Rodriguez's defense, he "felt threatened." Wait... what? He was the one with the gun at the other guy's house for crying out loud!!!
Rodriguez, buddy. Let's chat... I'll dumb it down for you. If you show up looking for trouble and shoot someone, it's murder. Worse, he shot a teacher, the one profession that is trained to get teenagers past the horrible plague of being a teenager. Way to go douchebag... thanks for making the problem worse!
Some other examples that are not "standing your ground:"
- If you brandish a gun at 7-11 and the teller threatens to call the cops.
- Hours after neighborhood bully pushes your 5 year old off the monkey bars.
- You catch your wife flirting with the ice cream man.
- The *@#$ dog chewed through your favorite briefcase- again!
- Your son got someone pregnant.
- When the guy who's car you're towing is a douchebag.
- When a group of dope smoking teenagers screws you out of your weed and tries to drive away.
- If you scare the shit out of your parents by showing up unannounced in the middle of the night and shoot them.
It's worth noting the war on women here. A number of instances where women claimed they 'stood their ground' against Domestic Violence and sexual assaults ultimately ended up in jail. The important lesson here: you can shoot your neighbor for his noisy birthday party, stab two guys you think might be burglarizing the vacant house at the end of the block, but not fight the guy who is raping you at knife point. Hi... lady liberty? This is common sense calling. I've missed you...